A lava lamp is also a device that has an expiry date, and sometimes it will not function properly. At this time it needs maintenance. Here the problem is we have no idea about how to fix lava lamp. Additionally, every type of lava lamp bulb needs a proper protocol for fixing it.
Furthermore, the wax of the lamp also needs special treatment for fixing. Ultimately if you want to fix different errors in lava lamps then you have to invest your time in the article. In this blog, I am going to cover how to fix lava lamp, and errors in their components.
The common problems regarding lava lamps are, the wax will not melt properly, displacement of the heating coil, and the wax becomes cloudy. We can fix these errors for a specific time after that time we have to replace that specific component.
Let’s start with the most common fixation of lava lamps which is clotting and doing.
How to Fix Lava Lamp Clotting or Doming
The most common problem of lava lamp lighting is the clotting and doming of lava inside the globe of the lava lamp body. Now the question is how to fix a lava lamp that is doming. Before going toward the solution. Let me tell you about the reason for clotting and doming lava lamps.
The main reason behind lava lamp not flowing due to the collating is their overuse. The overuse of lava lamp makes them overheated. Now you might be wondering if are lava lamps dangerous and become hot.
On a serious note, a lava lamp becomes dangerous when it leaves on for more than 8 to 10 hours. coming to the point of how can we fix vintage lava lamps below are the steps.
- First of all, see if the heating coil is in the right place. Make sure it is lying flat on the bottom of the lamp.
- If you see any displacement in the coil, turn it off immediately for more than an hour.
- After an hour, move the lamp slowly so that the coil falls down at the bottom of the weird lava lamp.
- The main thing to note here is, that do not move the lamp too much. The reason is a shaking lava lamp starts to mix its wax with the liquid.
- After gently shaking again keep the lamp in a place without moving. Keep the lava lamp vintage for at least four to six hours.
This is the simple way how to fix a lava lamp that is doming or clotting. Now moving toward the second error related to the lamps repaired
How to Fix Cloudy Lava Lamps
The second most common problem related to lava lamps is that they become cloudy. Sometimes the cloudiness becomes stuck to the bottle of the lamp also. In this situation, you need a lava lamp replacement bottle.
The reason behind the cloudiness is that due to the shaking of the lamp. Additionally, after shaking the lamp it become knocked over. Now the question arises of how to fix a lava lamp after shaking it.
Below is the easiest way to fix the wax lamp that becomes cloudy.
- If you accidentally shake a lava lamp, the very step that you have to follow is to switch off the lava lamp. For proper fixation keep it off for at least six to eight hours.
- The best thing that you can do for your lamp is to keep it off overnight.
- After the mentioned hour, turn on the lamp, now you have to keep it on consecutively for eight to nine hours. This will help to melt the wax properly and separate the wax from the tinted liquid.
- If the liquid and wax are not separated after keeping it off in single time. In this situation, repeat the above process two to three times.
After repeating the process thrice and still the liquid is not cooperation, in this situation you have to replace the lava lamp wax and find a replacement lava lamp bottle also. Before replacing the liquid we should know what is the liquid in lava lamps contains.
The liquid of the lava lamp contains a mixture of distilled water with food coloring, little amount of mineral oil, and paraffin wax.
How to Fix Lava Lamp Wax Stuck at The Top
Sometime after turning the lava lamp vintage on for a longer duration, you will see that the wax of the lava lamp is stuck at the top of the globe. The very easiest solution is to touch the lava lamp at the point where the wax is stuck.
If you do this and the touch lamps not working properly, then follow the procedure given below
- First of all replace the bulb with a higher-wattage bulb, the higher-wattage bulb produces more heat and the wax that is stuck at the top will melt down, and come back to the bottom.
- If the wax does not come back to the bottom by itself then swirl the lamp gently. Avoid fast swirling, as it will make the lamp liquid cloudy.
- If you do not want to replace the bulb then you can use a hairdryer here to melt the wax stuck at the top of the lamp body.
After following this protocol if the lava is still cloudy then you have to replace the lamp liquid. Sometimes a low-quality lamp show this problem. Do you want to ask where to buy a lava lamp of high quality? So I recommend you buy the lava lamp from well-known manufacturers.
What is Lava Lamp? Are Lava Lamp Safe?
A lava lamp is this type of lamp, but these lamps are used as a decorative piece to add more vintage and aesthetic vibes to any area. Furthermore, a lava lamp is safe to use if it is user it according to the manufacturer’s guidelines.
In the article, I told you about the three most common problems regarding lava lamps and how to fix lava lamp from these problems. If these solutions will not work for your lava lamp then ultimately you have to replace the lava lamp or its part that is not working properly.